Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Exclusive Interview with Yahzarah aka Miss Purple St. James

Who is Yahzarah? Well if you don't know, you have been living under a rock! She is only one of the hottest female vocalists out!!! 

(Photographer Credit: Daria Johnson)

Your girl recently had the privilege of sitting down with Yahzarah aka Miss Purple St. James and would love to share it with Bmore. Yahzarah aka Miss Purple St. James, a DMV native, studied at the famous Duke Ellington School of Music in Washington D.C. and later found her way to to North Carolina Central University on a music scholarship. After college, Miss Purple St. James went on to perform with big names in the music industry and land a gig as a background singer for none other than the renowned Erykah Badu. She used that opportunity to catapult her own music career and might I say it's a breath of fresh air. Finally an artist who is sincere about her music and uses her talent to reach people beyond the mainstream. So now that you have a sense of who Yahzarah aka Miss Purple St. James is, let's get to the interview.

Many of your fans know you as Yahzarah, so could you explain the name change to Miss Purple St. James?

It's basically an alter ego that I created during the time when I was disillusioned with the business. I needed some inspiration and I was really about to quit. I was singing a lot of hooks for money and singing things that I didn't really want my name, Yahzarah, to be associated with. As time went on, she (Purple St. James) kinda became more me. She breathed new ideas and other creative energy into me. Currently, I'm working on a record inspired by the energy she gave me.

Who or what inspires your music?

Events, things that I've experienced and things that other people I know have experienced [have influenced my music as well as] growing up, the music in the church. I went to a nondenominational church and the choir director was from the holiness tradition. From his instruction is where a lot of the operatic parts of my voice come from. As I grew older I started to really listen to The Beetles, Stevie Wonder, Queen, Chaka Khan and Tina Turner. I'm a hodge podge of a ton of different things.

Currently who is your favorite artist?


There are a few: Bilal Oliver, Eric Roberson and Cherise (a sister I saw in Chicago who has a voice that takes down fire) . My favorite artist is anybody who is doing something creative and is not contrived. I've got a guilty pleasure and his name is T-Pain. [I know he is so mainstream (BmoreFab! Chick)]. Mainstream is not the enemy, it's the lack of balance that's the enemy. If everyone was the same, we'd be in trouble. Look at me, I made a record that was globally accepted but stepped away from the form that I was doing before into a place where I thought I could be creative. Many fans ask, "Why can't you do what you were doing before"? I say because if I do that, I didn't grow. It's so unfair to ask me that.

(BmoreFab! Chick, Miss Purple St. James, Gypsy Soul Diva)

I can't help but notice your unique style. Is your style inspired by vintage labels or brand names?

I love it all. I call it extravagant couture. To me shoes are everything and I like classic cuts. I used to chop everything up and design for myself. I'm not a label whore. I like what looks good and feels good on me.

Finally, what makes you fabulous?

Well, my classic African beauty. My attention to detail and my love for common people like myself. That's my blessing and my curse and it does make me fabulous!

If you want to find out more about Miss Purple St. James you can check out her official website here or listen to her music here. Be on the lookout for a future article featuring Miss Purple St. James on
eXcapethematriX.com in their October edition.